Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Grandma's Apple Pie




We seem to spend a lot of time thinking about things that aren't really important, and no, I'm not referring to those 'Where are the car keys?' brainstorming sessions. Those are important, and so is 'What shall we have for dinner?'. Alright, they're subjectively important, but ultimately, that's the only way we can perceive the world. Besides, I need dinner, don't you?

The things that aren't really important are contained in the 'big' questions such as 'What's it all about when you get right down to it?' and 'Is there a God'. I must say, they're fun questions, because one never has to produce proof, only opinion. They're also the type of questions that people argue about the most. Sometimes, they even cause wars - at least if one looks at it superficially.

The fact is, that no-one's going to start a war about intangibles like matters of faith. It just seems more noble forcibly defending the logically indefensible than squabbling over what's for dinner, which is what war comes down to if you boil it down to the nitty-gritty.

The only problem with pragmatism is that its not particularly inspiring, whereas intangibles are mysterious and therefore much more interesting. Oh yes, I've heard the old saw about fighting for 'Grandma's apple pie', but unless you take the pie as a symbol of something else, it doesn't seem like a good way to motivate troops. I suppose it depends on the pie. It'd have to be to die for.

I don't know how many of the nonsense thoughts that we're fed to make us believe that A is really B I've swallowed over the years : probably quite a few. I'm not in possession of all the facts, so I'm sure that there are things that I believe just because most people do. Fortunately, it doesn't matter too much. No-one's asked me to die for anything, and I'm making stew for dinner. How about you?
****************
Don't know why I think this pic appropriate: Running off at the mouth? Ja, I'm good at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment